Returning To Work After A Holiday | Top Tips
I’m sure many of you can relate to the lead up to taking some time off work feeling a little stressful, and equally the first few days once you have returned, a little overwhelming.
The following tips can help boost your overall productivity, but particularly bearing these in mind after your holiday should support you in having a smoother transition back into your work routine, helping you start off as you mean to go on.
1. Plan your days and prioritise. Don’t just sit down and get swallowed up by your email or waste time procrastinating on tasks which do not need your attention straight away.
2. Do not book to attend any meetings. In your first couple of days back. Take at least 2 days to allow your brain to get back into work mode.
3. Check your diary. Even though you may not have any meetings on your 1st day back, remember to review your diary for the week ahead to ensure that you don’t have to suddenly be somewhere or contribute to a meeting you had completely forgotten about.
4. Work on one task at a time and do not start reading your next email until you have fully finished processing your current one. If you suddenly remember something you have to do, simply write it down and return back to the task in hand.
5. Adjust your expectations. It may be a little unrealistic to catch up on the communications and ongoing work in your first few days back and this is completely OK. Try not to undo all that R&R by working like crazy. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race.
What tips do you have to help you transition back in to work after time off?
For more blogs on professional development, leadership and change management, please click here.